Subject: Fwd: Leontyne Price - Fanciulla del West
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Mar 2017 08:56:33 -0400

Walter

This is actually what happened -

She sang the role on Opening Night of the Met 1961
season.

I attended the second performance. which was interrupted
for over an hour, when her voice gave out completely in the
middle of act two. Dorothy Kirsten, who reportedly had
retired for the night, was called at home and arrived as
quickly as she could to sing the third act, wonderfully, I might
add. Price gave no hint of distress in act one. She sounded just
fine!  The date was 10/31/61.

Walter, barely a month later, on 12/4, she sang a complete
performance at the Met,

During the Spring 1962 tour she sang the opera at both
Cleveland and Dallas.

Walter, words matter!

Bob