Subject: Re: Pretentious Quotes
From: London Tier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Mar 2017 18:02:51 -0700

(1)    So "typical Hollywood fodder" is not worthy of "serious study"?
What makes a work “warrant serious study”? Unserious art may well deserve
very serious study!

(2)    I doubt Joseph Kerman knew enough of the "operatic canon" to know
what is "significant" and what is not. For example, I think that
Cimarosa's *L'italiana
in Londra* is very significant indeed (Mozart refers repeatedly to it in *Le
nozze di Figaro*), but who knows it?

(3)    "Groundlings" -- how arrogant can one be? Is this from A.C. Douglas?

(4)    So only opera that is "art" counts?

(5)    Meaning that the author has totally missed the point of what has
animated the genre for four hundred years...