Subject: Enduring Soprano Voices / Maya Angelou
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Mar 2017 16:26:21 -0700

Thanks to Donald Kane for beating me to the punch with the name of Lotte
Lehmann. Lehmann made her debut in 1910, and her first recordings in 1912.
Her final recordings are of her deeply moving Farewell Recitals from NYC
and Santa Barbara in 1951. Yes, the voice changed notably, but, in the
right material, it was still evenly produced, solid, and supremely eloquent
throughout her career.

Marston's 4-CD set of Lehmann's entire acoustic output, plus a smattering
of electricals, is now available. It is wonderful.

Lehmann's contemporary and initial rival, Elisabeth Schumann, made her
operatic debut in 1909, and retired from opera shortly before fleeing
Germany. Her final commercial recordings were made in 1949, with a
subsequent live recital (not in good voice) issued of a concert in South
America. Her late lectures for the Smithsonian Institute are irreplaceable
gems.

Maggie Teyte, born in the same year as Lehmann and Schumann, made her Town
Hall debut in 1948, age 60. She performed in opera until 1951, and retired
from recital in 1956. She would have appeared with Flagstad in the famous
late career recording of Dido and Aeneas, based on their live performances
in Mermaid Theatre, had not she been replaced by Schwarzkopf.

There are many, many more examples. I heard Victoria de los Angeles in San
Francisco c. 1993, and she was magnificent. That's another career that last
over 40 years. And how about Flicka, who first appeared in Santa Fe in
1970, and sang on the Dallas Opera stage last year in a Heggie premiere?
--
In answer to the question as to why discussion of Maya Angelou has
appeared, discussions of African-American sopranos apparently incite the

jason
---
Jason Victor Serinus http://www.jasonserinus.com     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA