Subject: Re: Angelou (was New Visa Issues for the US)
From: "Miller, Judith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:49:17 +0000

Dear all,
I have remained silent during this discussion, but the latest comments prompt this reply.  I will remain deeply and forever grateful to the 1973 teacher who offered my sophomore health class at a public high school near Cleveland, Ohio a choice of 3 books, one of which Angelou's _I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings_.  It was a brave choice in the 1970s, even though I did not understand it as such back then.   It was a riveting and eye-opening work.
Reading the book remains one of the most moving and transformational experiences of my teenage years.  I am not sure why the Opera-L listserv has veered onto this topic.   As it has, however, I will at least speak up for this author and this book and for any high school that assigns it.   It was one of the most important works that I read in high school--and I read a great deal, from Homer and Plato to Chaucer and Shakespeare, to Balzac, Proust, James Baldwin, and  Salinger.
JM

Dr. Judith A. Miller [log in to unmask]
Department of History
Emory University