Subject: Re: Enduring soprano voices
From: Art McManus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Mar 2017 17:22:30 -0400

I would add Hei-Kyung Hong to the list of enduring sopranos.  She made her
Met debut in 1984, two years after appearing as one of the National Council
Winners.  I saw her sing a radiant Mimi last year, when she was honored for
her 30th season at the Met.  She holds the record for number of performances
of Liu and is third as Mimi (behind Frances Alda and Lucrezia Bori). I
believe she's on the roster again this season.

As for Rysanek, I'd extend her Met glory days at least to the Jenufa
performances of 1992-93, when she still commanded the required forays into
soprano tessitura (unlike, say, the still later Herodias or Klytemnestra
performances, great as they were!).

Art