Subject: Re: Leontyne Price - Fanciulla del West
From: Scott Grunow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 15 Mar 2017 14:50:10 -0400

I've always enjoyed immensely her recording of Fidelia's aria from Puccini's Edgar. Just thrilling; the voice just opens up as the tessitura becomes higher and higher.

Price was slated to record Elsa with Leinsdorf for RCA in 1965? or was it 1966?, but she bowed out, and Amara replaced her. I wonder why. Maybe Price at this point was really weighing what parts would work for her in the long-term, even if she only recorded them, like the Carmen, which she recorded but did not sing on stage. Price sang no complete Wagner on stage. I know she recorded the Liebestod and Du bist der lenz, but did she ever program any Wagner into her concerts or recitals?

Also, I heard (no specific source) that Nilsson was to be the Ortrud, but Gorr replaced her, but by that point Gorr was experiencing severe vocal problems.

Mezzomaniac