Subject: Barbara Hendricks today
From: Ulrik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Mar 2017 17:34:27 -0400

Today I had the pleasure of seeing Ms Hendricks at an event to celebrate the 60 years
anniversary of the Rome Treaty, establishing the EU. In her capacity of UNCHR Goodwill
Ambassador (apparently the longest serving ever) and a good European (Ms Hendricks has
Swedish and Swiss citizenship) Ms Hendricks made a speech and sang/spoke a medley
which included pure singing of Summertime and Sometimes I feel like a motherless child.

Ms Hendricks looked very good. She does not colour her hair - but if she did, she would look
much younger then her 68-69 (she mentioned when she was born). She has a very
sympathetic personality and a very nice speaking voice. And she is a very good speaker,
adept at mixing the personal with the general.

And then the singing. There were some posts about enduring sopranos a few days ago.
Based on her singing today (which was only two songs and with amplification), Ms
Hendricks has really managed to keep her voice. It is instantly recognisable and it does not
sound old at all. It still has a beautiful timbre and the hgh notes (I do not know how high as
I do not have absolute pitch) were fine.

Ms Hendricks is still busy giving concerts and recording (on her own label?) as well as doing
a lot of work for refugees and human rights in general. I get the sense that she is a really
nice and classy lady.

Kind regards

Ulrik