Subject: Re: Ipad accompanist
From: Marc Shepherd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Mar 2017 13:31:38 -0400

As another poster noted, there is a page-turning foot pedal connected to
the iPad via Bluetooth.

I saw one of these at a recent concert, and asked the pianist about it.
Electronic devices can seize up unexpectedly. I asked if that worries him.

He said that human page-turners aren't exactly perfect, either. He said
that a good human page-turner *whom he has rehearsed with* is more reliable
than the iPad. But if he has not rehearsed with the page-turner, the iPad
is more reliable.

At major events (e.g., Carnegie Hall), he uses a human page-turner. But
when he is on the road, maybe in a different city every day, he will almost
certainly not get the chance to rehearse with a local page-turner, and that
person might turn out to be not very good at it. He would rather take his
chances with the iPad.

The Bluetooth connection can fail sometimes. Indeed, at the concert I
witnessed, I noticed him flipping a page on the iPad with his finger, and
he confirmed that the pedal had indeed missed the signal that one time.

--
Marc Shepherd
New York, NY