Subject: Re: Selva opaca and a favorite Tebaldi recital
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Mar 2017 11:54:37 -0400

I think it was Conrad Osborne who said that he thought WW II disrupted the
complete technical training of many singers in Tebaldi's generation, so they
sang mostly on natural endowment and instinct until their youth ran out.
Tebaldi's case is particularly interesting, since one of the things that
made her so extraordinary -- her taking the natural weight of the voice as
high as her wall-shaking B flats, is what eventually got her into trouble.
( I also have a recollection of reading about Bergonzi warning his students
about this issue without ever mentioning his friend's name, but making it
pretty clear who he was talking about.)

David Kubiak