Subject: Transpositions
From: R PRADA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 21 Mar 2017 00:38:22 -0400

I am speaking as one who has worked in opera houses. Opera orchestras do not transpose on the fly and have not done so for many years. It has nothing to do with individual players.

BTW, in France where instrumentalists train seriously, many do.

I have had one French accompanist who transposes classical works at sight, with a few clinkers.

My Broadway maestro transposed habitually. Some more difficult ones he had to work out first, but at least 90 percent of the time he did it right off the page. But he was 86 last year when he passed away. He played and conducted for all the greats in musical theater.

I have asked conductors of opera about transposing. And I have had friends who have cared enough, such as my friend who carried parts for Les Nuits D'Ete.

I am not guessing. I never do that.

RP

Sent from my iPhone