Subject: Re: My Meeting Martinelli (formerly, Giovanni Martinelli in "William Tell")
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 20 Mar 2017 13:07:50 -0700

Lets not forget to mention the O tu che in seno agli'angeli from Forza.
All three recordings were made in 1926 or 27 and are a miracle.  The voice
as captured is astounding also.  There is a space around it that makes me
believe it was recorded in an acoustically good hall, not the typical
recording studio of the time.  Then there is the Ah si ben mio.  The way he
sings the Amor, sublime amore before the aria is unequaled.  Even by
Bjoerling.  Line, line, line and amazing breath control.  Martinelli was a
very great singer.  Perhaps he sang too long as so many do but in his
absolute prime he was supreme.  To me, with Pertile the great artist of
that generation and with more voice then Pertile.  Sure, Gigli and
Lauri-Volpi had the beautiful sensuous voices, but for sheer artistry and
voice, Martinelli was the true successor to Caruso.  Then there was
Thill...my favorite of all....but he wasn't an Italian.  (Yes, I know,
trained by De Lucia).

Donald