Subject: Re: Hampson destroying .... Luisotti the biggest scourge of all
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Mar 2017 18:25:58 -0700

With all the comment on Thomas Hampson, let me first state that he has been
a magnificent singer in many different styles over the years.  It was
always a superb lyric baritone and in the right role and especially as a
singer of songs, he has really been wonderful.

When he opened his mouth to sing yesterday my reaction was that it is
time.  Every singer has to know when to go.  Hampson is now 62 and while I
am sure he could sing on in recital, the time for big roles, especially
Verdi, is over.  As has been said, these contracts are made years ahead and
any singer who reaches his mid fifties should think twice about what he can
sing five years down the pike.  Singers today seem to be starting later and
singing longer, many times too long.  Rare is the singer like Varnay or
Rysanek or even Domingo, who can adapt and change fach and continue on.
And when Varnay and Rysanek sang mezzo, they still remained dramatic
soprano's, just singing in a lower tessitura.

So, cut the guy some slack.

As for the production, I never thought I would like it from the advance
word, but each time I have seen it, it worked.  The biggest problem with
Traviata in 1853 was that it was sent in modern times and they had to set
it in in the 18th century in some early performances.  So, putting it  in
the 20th century really didn't both me.  There were things in the direction
that I found interesting and I really like the idea of Grenvil being around
so much - sort of like the angel of death?  I heard Netrebko in this
production.  Yoncheva was good.  Vocally, there were places here and there
that didn't quite land right or on pitch, but it was good.  Likewise, I
liked Michael Fabiano.  I heard so much about his precarious vocal
condition lately that I was pleased he did well.  BTW, I would have loved
to have heard Callas or Zeani in this production.

Donald