Subject: Re: Hampson destroying Germont
From: Myriam Hernandez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Mar 2017 10:53:59 -0400

I didn't find Sonya Yoncheva's portrayal of Violetta that bad and Michael
Fabiano sounded much, much better than his recent Rodolfo at the Met,
except for that tight high C at the end of the cabaletta. True, both
singers sounded flat at times, but I am inclined to think that it was due
to the intensity of their singing. Sometimes this happens in singing:
emotions overcome other vocal considerations. There is a cast change
beginning on March 29th, featuring Carmen Giannattasio, a beautiful voice
and committed singer, and baritone George Petean, as old Germont, a much
better choice to honor Germont's role than the horrible Thomas Hampson. I
am not familiar with tenor Atalla Ayan, so I will have to wait for the
broadcast on Sirius to pass an opinion. Just my two cents.

Myriam