Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS
From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Mar 2017 06:42:38 -0400

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate the birthdays of:

Thomas Arne (1710-1778)
Eugene Conley (1908-1981)
Veriano Luchetti (1939-2012)
Hans Knappertsbusch (1888-1965)

Also, Verdi's "Simon Boccanegra" and Schoenberg's "Moses und Aron"
premiered on this date in 1857 and 1954, respectively.

Let us remember the following artists who joined Heaven's Choir on this
date:

Charles Widor (1844-1937)
Yehudi Menuhin (1916-1999)
Eugene Ormandy (1899-1985)
Nicola Rossi-Lemini (1920-1991)

The quote for today is:  "If I wanted to play the violin, I had to work.
Because anything that one wants to do really, and one loves doing, one
must do everyday. It should be as easy to the artist and as natural as
flying is to a bird. And you can’t imagine a bird saying well, I’m tired
today, I’m not going to fly!"    Yehudi Menuhin.

VINTAGE ICON COMIC STRIP DEBUTS:  On this date in 1951 Hank Ketcham's
DENNIS THE MENNACE made his illustrious debut.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our birthday artists for today and
all forum members who share their birthday with them.

ARTISTS' EVENTS salutes these artists for their enduring contributions
to the world of classical music.

ARTISTS' EVENTS honors the following Hall of Fame peerless artists for
their profound contributions to the world of opera:

Tenor of all tenors Enrico Caruso (25 February 1873-2 August 1921)
Coloratura prima donna assoluta Erna Berger (19 October 1900-14 June
1990)
Soprano prima donna assoluta Rosa Ponselle (22 January 1897-25 May
1981)
Prima contralto assoluta Fedora Barbieri (4 June 1920-4 March 2003)
Baritone unequaled Leonard Warren (21 April 1911-4 March 1960)
Basso profundo of all bassos Ezio Pinza (18 May 1892-9 May 1957)

 In memory of the following first rate artists for March 2017:

 Primo tenore  Beniamino Gigli (20 Mar 1890-30 Nov 1957)
 Coloratura stupenda Maria Galvany (10 Mar 1878-3 Aug 1927)
 Soprano prima donna Magda Olivero (25 Mar 1910-8 Sep 2014)
 Contralto assoluta Maria Malibran (24 Mar 1808-23 Sep 1836)
 Baritone unparalleled Mario Sereni (15 Mar 1928-24 Jul 2015)
 Basso profundo Franz Crass (9 Mar 1928-24 Jun 2012)
 Distinguished virtuoso Wilhelm Backhaus (26 Mar 1884-5 Jul 1969)
 Preeminent conductor Mstislav Rostropovich (27 Mar 1927-27 Apr 2007)
 Premier composer J. S. Bach (21 Mar 1685-28 Jul 1750)
 Featured premier Tchaikovsky's "Eugene Onegin" (29 Mar 1879)

 NON CLASSICAL RECORDINGS OF MERITORIOUS ARTISTIC EXCELLENCE:

 "Mas Canciones," Linda Ronstadt
 "Canciones de Mi Padre," Linda Ronstadt
 "Jardin Azul: Las Canciones Favoritas," Linda Ronstadt
 "Greatest Italian Songs," vol 1, Connie Francis
 "Greatest Italian Songs," vol 2, Connie Francis
 "Spanish and Latin American Favorites," Connie Francis
 Bing Crosby: "White Christmas," with sales of over 100 MILLION copies.
 Also, he was the best recording artist of the 20th century with over
 half a BILLION records in circulation.

 May ARTISTS' EVENTS put a smile on your face and a song in your heart
 each day.

 Pace e Gioia,

 Bob Dilley
 QUI AUDIT AIPISCITUR