Subject: Re: Visa difficulties for artists
From: Jason Victor Serinus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Mar 2017 18:45:54 -0800

Bob wrote:

Date:    Sat, 11 Mar 2017 20:49:01 -0500
From:    [log in to unmask]

There is actually a technique for dealing with border guards - very similar
to how one deals with police.

You answer all questions promptly, without pausing to think of an answer,
always in a cool manner, no matter the question, no matter how long it
Part of the guard's mission is to unnerve you to see if you loose your
So don't fall for it or expect any special treatment because you're a
or because of any other reason.

I'm sure there's a number of people randomly selected who will undergo
grilling, but a traveler's tension is what the guards are looking for.

Anyone who's been to Israel knows exactly what to do. ;)
Yeah, except for one thing. Bob, I believe, has white skin, and does not
have a Middle Eastern or potentially-Hispanic surname. All the calmness and
rationality in the world can go for naught if any racist flags and
anti-Muslim / anti-Hispanic flags are raised.

Jason Victor Serinus     Whistler
Extraordinaire: **The Voice of Woodstock • The Pavarotti of Pucker**
Music and audiophile critic: Seattle Times, Port Townsend Leader,
Stereophile, Listen, San Francisco Classical Voice, Bay Area Reporter, Gay
City News, American Record Guide, Classical Voice North America, Stanford
Live, Opera Now, Copper, and more

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the
tormentor, never the tormented.” — Elie Wiesel

“This is a time to remember all of us who are LGBTQ. It’s a time to stand
out and be proud, to parade who we are, to celebrate and to let them know
we will not be silenced, we will not be stopped, we will not go back into
the closet. Together, we will love.” — JVS at our Orlando Massacre Support
Rally in Port Townsend, WA

Modify your settings: