Subject: Re: Hampson destroying Germont
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 11 Mar 2017 14:48:50 -0700

I have to agree; one of the worst Traviatas ever.  What was with that
orchestra?  Besides having synchronization issues with the stage it was the
loudest accompaniment I've ever heard in that opera; no nuance, crashing
chords forte', booming base line; I know people have said Verdi was
influenced by Wagner but this was not Siegried's funeral march. The violins
sounded thin and scratchy as if the orchestra had been reduced.  I wonder
if it was the transmission as they sounded like high school players.
Hampson has lost any richness he may have had and his high notes were
non-existent.  Di Provenza sounded like a song of desperation with no
legato and apparently shorness of breath.  Fabiano did not sound as good as
he has recently but I did enjoy Yoncheva who has a lovely quality to her
voice but a sameness to her vocal production, a very monochromatic sound
throughout.
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.