Subject: Re: New Visa Issues for the US
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Mar 2017 23:32:51 -0500

I have no doubt that one can collect any number of horror stories of the
sort referenced in the Guardian article.  But the fact is that (1) while those
kind of things certainly do happen, and too frequently, they are not the
norm; and (2) these kind of incidents long predate Trump.  (I remember
reading one of these Horror Story collections in an article in the NYT during
the Obama years, but I don't recall anyone blaming Saint Barack.)

Same thing with airport security.  Plenty of outrageous stories, but the vast
majority of people get through just fine.   The bad incidents are the ones
that make the news.

The problem isn't Trump; it is small people vested with a huge amount of
discretionary power.  A certain number will always abuse it.  (That's known
as "The Asshole Factor," a corollary of Murphy's Law.)  But hey, why pass
up an opportunity to blame Trump for opera singers not wanting to sing in
the U.S.?

Oh, and if that Australian woman now "loathes" America, she is welcome to
stay at home in Australia.  But she might want to consider that her own
country imprisons illegal immigrants in detention facilities, including on a
couple of islands, where conditions are so bad - including rape, abuse,
racism and neglect - that Amnesty International has issued scathing
reports about them.  Reading this report in the Sydney Morning Herald -
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/exmanus-island-
workers-report-beatings-rapes-of-asylum-seekers-20140505-zr4uv.html  -
I have no patience at being lectured by an Australian about treatment of
foreign nationals in the U.S.

MDW