Subject: Re: New Visa Issues for the US
From: John Greiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Mar 2017 20:37:39 -0600

I can also verify it is extremely difficult for even US citizens with valid passports to re-enter the US.  I went to Canada last year, had my passport, and my "high tech" drivers license, my car had Maryland plates, had my itinerary including hotels and what Canadian parks I had visited. etc. and I was grilled for a good half hour trying to re-enter the US.  This was in Maine.

Two years before that, faced the same thing coming in from Victoria.  That time I was with my then 84 year old mother who is on a walker, and same thing, US customs gave us hell despite passports and other ID showing we were US citizens.   And trying to get an 84 year old on a walker through the lines and customs offices and stuff was very hard in her as well as me.

Going to Canada (and other countries) is easy going through their customs (even with a year of 9/11, although they were a bit more stringent then than later).  But US customs can be a real bitch - in the pejorative sense of the word - to US citizens, Let alone other nationalities.

And on the opera front, some on the list may remember a strange broadcast of Fledermaus from D C around 2002/2003.  In that case the Orlofsky from Russia was admitted to the US so late she didn't have time to learn her (new translation) English lines and the Adele from Japan was never admitted at all, requiring the Use of an understudy the list was not kind to when they saw the broadcast.

It is going to get much, much worse.

John Greiner

Sent from my iPhone