Subject: Re: SF Symphony... And Now Make The Comparison
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Mar 2017 19:07:52 -0500

Lisa wrote:

>"OH MY GOD, the LA Phil's 2017-18 season
<http://www.laphil.com/tickets/calendar-fullseason/2017>!!! A friend in LA
very kindly passed along some information to me about five minutes after
the season went live around midnight, and OMG I wish I could work from LA
for the year. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.....There are
81 (EIGHTY-ONE) composers on the season. Of these, 31 are alive. That's
right, the LA Phil and its associated programs have a season on which more
than one-third of the composers are alive. Not only that, a significant
further number composed entirely or primarily in the 20th c. These include
Varese, R. Strauss, Eastman, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Sibelius, Zimmerman,
Weinberg, Vaughan Williams, Bernstein, Bacewicz, Berg, Debussy, Holst,
Martirano, Messiaen, and Shostakovich. (Eastman is JULIUS
EASTMAN!!).....They're performing music by nine (9) women, 8 of whom are
alive (see Bacewicz, whose music i don't know at all). There's one Asian
woman (Chen Yi), one deceased African American man (Eastman), and a number
of Mexican and other Latin American composers (one Brazilian man, one
Cuban-American woman). There is a festival of music by living Mexican
composers, looks like. There are also several living Italians, not all
male."

https://irontongue.blogspot.com/2017/02/los-angeles-
philharmonic-2017-18.html

The irony here is that I looked at the same season and thought it was
dispiritingly conventional with the “diversity” largely for show. I don’t
think there is one “evening anchor” piece written by a woman or POC in the
season.

Anyway - who cares?? What does diversity have to do with the arts in an
absolute sense? One can commission works from a varied range of composers
(regarding gender, religion, national origin, etc), and what will be
accomplished?

How does this create better art?