Subject: Re: Thomas Beecham Quotes
From: Max Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Mar 2017 10:13:54 -0800

Some people got irked by what they considered unprofessionalism. Choices made for personal comfort over artistic results.

EMI had made large scale orchestral recordings in both Kingsway Hall and Abbey Road Studio 1. At that time, Kingsway Hall was considered the better venue for sound and whoever recorded at Abbey Road was usually deferring to someone else who had Kingsway occupied. Beecham, however, had a strong preference for Abbey Road, even though his best sounding recording (the 1957 Rimsky "Scheherazade") was made in Kingsway. Why? Two things, apparently. Parking was much easier (then) near Abbey Road but, more important, there was a nearby store that had the cigars he liked.

Victoria de los Angeles got exasperated and left the 1958 Paris "Carmen" sessions (and went straight to the airport, having someone get her things fron her hotel after) because she felt there were passages involving her that weren't quite right and needed to be redone. He totally ignored her and couldn't be bothered; the orchestra sounded fine (similar complaint that Tebaldi had with Karajan on the 1959 Decca Vienna "Aida"). She spoke into the microphone and told the producer, Victor Olof, that if they didn't stop to make corrections, she would leave. Beecham ignored Olof, she left. About an hour later, Beecham was ready to move on to another section involving Carmen.

Beecham: "But where is my beloved Carmen?"
Olof: "Her plane is probably touching down in Barcelona."
Beecham: "Ugh, quite right, quite right."

Max Paley

Sent from my iPad