Subject: Re: Thomas Beecham Quotes
From: E R B Forman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:31:48 +0000

Are we all deliberately avoiding the best-known Beechamisms on the grounds
that they are too corny or something? The crude one about the poor lady
cellist ("you have between your legs ... and all you can do is scratch
it"), the one about an incompetent oboist whose name turned out to be Ball
("How very singular!") and above all his encounter with a particularly
striking and handsome lady at a reception - he knew that he knew her but
was damned if he could place her so took his chances with a string of
leading questions seeking clues:
"Are you well, madam?” “Yes, thank you.” “And the ... er, family?” “Yes,
they are fine.” “And your husband, is he well?” “Yes, very well, thank
you.” “And is he still in the same line of business?” “Yes, he’s still
king.”

Edward

--
Dr E.R.B. Forman