Subject: Re: Thomas Beecham Quotes
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Mar 2017 19:41:45 -0500

This thread is one of the best we've ever had; I wish I could contribute
something new to it.  Was there ever a published collection of quotes from
Sir
Thomas?

Teenager that I was, Beecham's conducting of TRISTAN & ISOLDE in 1943 made
no particular impression on me; I was there for Wagner, Melchior, and
Traubel, pretty much in that order,  but when he returned in the postwar
years
to conduct what had become his new Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in a
series of concerts at Carnegie Hall, I was there for him.

Has anyone else ever wondered, as I have, what induced Beecham to spend
the war years in America, at a time when he was esteemed as an English
cultural "icon"?  Benjamin Britten did the same thing as an early settler
to what was then a seedy section of Brooklyn Heights, but he was probably
too young
and unknown to have been missed by his blitz threatened countrymen.

dtmk