Subject: Re: thomas beecham quotes
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Mar 2017 12:02:00 -0800

The quote I heard from Beecham was: "Why do we import so many third rate singers from abroad when we have so many second rate singers herd?"

Re: Elektra, the Beecham quote Walter Legge mentioned came during a rehearsal while Hilde Konetzni as Chrysothemis was pouring out her "Kinder will ich haben." Beecham turned to Legge and asked "What is that woman screaming at me?" Legge quipped "She wants you to be the father of her children" to which Beecham responded "Tell her that on some very cold and lonely night I'll consider her offer."

Beecham read a news report (apparently untrue) that during a tour in China, Sir Malcolm Sargent had been kidnapped.

"I didn't know the Chinese were so musical."

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone