Subject: Re: thomas beecham quotes
From: Kenneth Bleeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Mar 2017 13:45:44 -0500

No, was definitely Strauss:

In 1909, she created the role of Klytaemnestra in the debut of Richard
Strauss <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Strauss>'s *Elektra
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elektra_%28opera%29>*, of which she said she
had no high opinion, calling it 'a fearful din'.[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernestine_Schumann-Heink#cite_note-2> Strauss,
for his part, was not entirely taken by Schumann-Heink; according to one
story, during rehearsals he told the orchestra "Louder! I can still hear
Mme. Schumann-Heink!".