Subject: Re: Pretentious Quotes
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Mar 2017 23:54:43 -0400

Boy how you do seem to be (*seem* to be???) obsessed with some fabricated "class
system" of operas and with "serious study" of opera. So many of your quote-pulling posts
seem to echo these concepts. One would think by now you'd want to talk about something
else, lol.

That said - in the world at large (i.e. not in our little opera-obsessed bubble), there is most
likely no such thing as "middlebrow" opera. For lots of people, opera in general *is* boring,
partially because it's seen as being so pretentiously highbrow. We know that perception is
wrong, but still that perception exists. (And the same goes for perceptions about classical
music in general, of course.)

Ironically, I think it's only the most self-important, self-proclaimed "highbrow" opera fans
who rate popular operas as "boringly middlebrow." Personally, I find those kind of so-called
opera fans boringly faux-highbrow, and really don't want to have anything to do with them.

I like a good mix of the standards AND the more obscure, adventurous rep, as I assume
most all of us do (save you and Mr. Grossman, lol). I see no problem in that. I think Mr.
Grossman should be permanently locked in a padded cell with some of that typical
Hollywood fodder (whatever that means) and some really boring Aida Boheme and
Carmen. I think that would be proper Mikado-like punishment. ;-)