Subject: Comforting Quotes
From: Genevieve Castle Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Mar 2017 22:55:54 -0400

>1) Most works in the standard (i.e., boringly middlebrow) operatic
repertoire do not warrant serious study and deserve to be seen no more than
typical Hollywood fodder.

(Andrew Grossman)

>2) The significant operatic canon is not large.

(Joseph Kerman)

>3) I really don't much like conventional opera as an art form. It is for
the most part a meretricious sort of thing.... Strictly for the
groundlings.

(Anonymous)

>4) While I do not like opera as an institution I have a high regard for
particular operas.

(Anonymous)

>5) My viewpoint on opera resolutely excludes performers and the public,
except to disparage them. There is no room in my idealized conception of
opera for anything more than the composer and the text and I DEPLORE
the subversive,
sexy, antiliterary politics of VOICE.

(Anonymous)