Subject: Re: a final word on Leontyne Price
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Mar 2017 23:02:59 +0000

Thanks for mentioning that stunning recording by Tebaldi David. It is indeed my favourite version. The words crystal clear and the vowels or consonants never compromised, the style authentic, the phrasing idiomatic and the voice in its absolute prime with a peerless, steady, pianissimo at the end are all breathtaking. One of those recordings that define the Tebaldi greatness for me.
Back to Leontyne, for me nothing she did in Italian opera compares to her Cleopatra in the world premiere of Barber's work or her performance as Vanessa. In this rep she connected to the text like she never did in Italian opera. I guess it was the language and the style. In the Barber roles I hear all her greatness. I can only agree with all the mannerisms the others mentioned. Unfortunately they spoil most recordings I have. I struggle even more when they put her next to Italians like Corelli, Simionato, Bastianini, Cossotto, Bergonzi etc because the difference in style, phrasing and language becomes even more obvious.

Takis