Subject: Re: a final word on Leontyne Price
From: David Kubiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Mar 2017 17:21:00 -0400

Again, I cannot say enough that I agree Price was a great singer -- I will
never forget the effect the final note of "This Little Light of Mine" made
in her recitals.  The preservation of the top voice was a miracle -- she
probably still has the C at 90.  But to say that she sang "Io sono l'umile
ancella' in her sixties better than Tebaldi ever did is unnecessary
adulation.  Listen to Tebaldi's 1955 version on YouTube -- that is
perfection in this music.  Price's decision to make exaggerated upward
portamenti at the end is just vulgar.

David Kubiak