Subject: Re: Visa difficulties for artists
From: John Rahbeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:23:22 -0400

This is a very accurate and concerning observation, and I fear the arts
will be seriously impacted by all of this. I think it's sad that  people with
significant contributions to the arts and sciences  are being treated like
criminals at our borders, yet real security is being  ignored, and the
general public is being played like a violin by conspiracy  theories. I am very
afraid for our country, which is responding just as the  terrorists wanted us
to, and any third party that wants to destabilize our  country with paranoia
and misinformation. the sad truth is that's what  a terrorist is, someone
who terrifies people into paranoia so they can be  easily be made to suffer
and be manipulated.
 The impact on opera could result in a reduced international  standard.
There is one silver lining to prolonged isolationism. Performance  practice begi
ns to diverge a bit and orchestras begin to develop their own  sound. There
was a time when each orchestra had it's own unique stamp, and now  they all
sound more or less the same. The downside is that the quality of  singing
would be more and more difficult to maintain. It's a lot easier to find  a
high level instrumentalist that it is a singer, and an International singer
needs to master many linguistic styles that an instrumentalist does not
necessarily need. A conductor or a stage director may need to speak in  other
languages, but whether or not they have a foreign accent doesn't  matter, but
a singer must be able to inflect linguistic subtleties, as  well stylistic
aspects of the language they are singing in. Then there is  the competitive
factor. When you put high level singers together, they learn  from each other
and evolve to a higher level of singing. The same thing  happens when you
mix aspiring opera singers. Not only could this  affect singers today, it
could affect future singers as well.
John Rahbeck
In a message dated 3/13/2017 1:04:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,