Subject: Re: a final word on Leontyne Price
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 14 Mar 2017 07:14:13 -0600

I will never forget waking up in the middle of the night years ago and
turning on my television to see Leinsdorf and Boston with Price singing the
awakening scene from The Egyptian Helen.   I had never heard the opera
before(they had not done it in Santa Fe yet) and I had never heard her sing
Strauss.  What a revelation.  The richness of that voice was something I
had never imagined.  Years later I got the big red box of her recordings
and I play that scene for everyone who has not heard it.  I saw Voigt do it
at the Met and she did not come close to Price; neither did Rysanek who had
sung it many years earlier and I do love Rysanek.  I turn up the volume on
it until the nails pop out of my wallboard.
dond

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.