Subject: Re: Late Leontyne Price
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Mar 2017 11:39:56 -0700

Full respect to the singer who led me down the primrose path into opera.

Those late career releases from high notes (not always) were strange. I don't think I've ever heard another singer do that. No scoop on the attack and the note itself would be spectacular but then this strange dying airplane sound.

I first noticed it in a 1977 SF Ariadne. The last two things I saw her do in the 80's were a magnificent Mme. Lidoine and Aida. Didn't notice this downward swoop in either but she certainly did set off a Roman candle with her "Amen" in the Poulenc.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone