Subject: Re: Andrea Chenier
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Mar 2017 09:01:58 -0400

Did anyone else hear some booing as the final curtain came down?  What
 was THAT about?

By the way: I have no problem with a baritonal sounding tenor as long as
all of the rest of the goods are there and Kaufmann (so far) has got all the
goods.  I cannot find fault with any of his interpretations and find his
incredible diminuendos in a class by themselves.
But in truth, he DOES sound more baritonal than a year ago.  It is a rich
sound in a man but there is that missing "ping" that I happen to like in a
tenor voice very much and miss in his voice.

Of course we could also look at Netrebko whose voice also has changed to
a deeper, richer sound which, if she were a man, we would also be calling
more baritonal.  It's not a bad thing -- just different (and quite beautiful).