Subject: Re: Hampson destroying .... Luisotti the biggest scourge of all
From: "Sklenar, Robert John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Mar 2017 05:02:16 +0000

Dear Donald,

The charitable view you take of Hampson speaks very well for you as a
human being, and I commend it. I totally agree that he was once a peerless
lyric baritone. My contention is simply that if he had stayed in that
Fach, he would have more to offer now at age 62 than an expulsion of
catarrh somewhere in the vicinity of the written pitch. The trouble began
decades ago when he started interpolating tenor high C's into Largo al
factotum; now, he can't manage the g-flats in Di Provenza. Then, he
started taking on roles too heavy for his voice; as a result, a baritone
who once could dispatch coloratura runs better than many sopranos now
cannot execute the most basic legato. (l'amato e amante giohohovane, cui
sposa andar dovehehehehaŠ) Finally, even if we make allowances for how far
in advance singers sign their contracts, Hampson has been singing this
badly for years. He has nothing more to offer than his name, and he is
cynically cashing in on it. THAT is what's inexcusable.

-Robert

On 3/12/17 9:25 PM, "Discussion of opera and related issues on behalf of
Donald Levine" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of