Subject: Re: Hampson destroying .... Luisotti the biggest scourge of all
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Mar 2017 22:28:00 -0500

About 10 years ago in San Francisco and then again in 2011 in Chicago I subjected myself to his Macbeth. In 60+ years of opera-going I’ve seen some sorry examples of miscasting. These fit into the category. The man simply never had the voice for heavy dramatic Verdi roles. I’d have thought that Germont and Posa might have worked but only saw his Posa on the video of the French version. At this stage he has no business in this repertory.

Side note: neither of these Macbeth performances had him partnered with a competent Lady. In San Francisco Georgina Lukacs had too much a lyric sound to do justice to the role. As for Chicago, I found Nadja Michael to have one of the most unpleasant voices I’ve ever heard.

Good Verdi baritones seem to be in short supply; great ones appear to be extinct.

Kurt Youngmann

> On Mar 12, 2017, at 7:26 PM, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> He’s sung a large number of Verdi roles during the past decade or so, including Simon Boccanegra, Macbeth, Renato and Iago.

“Sunday School: A prison in which children do penance for the evil conscience of their parents.” - H.L. Mencken, A Mencken Chrestomathy, 1949