Subject: Re: Andrea Chenier
From: Kiwi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Mar 2017 22:28:19 -0400

I didn't hear today's performance but it seems to me JK has always had a
darker, more baritonal tenor.

I personally like the richness of this heavier sound in the right repertoire
and wish we had more tenors with this particular heft to their voices.  To
me, it seems a delightfully masculine approach and as long as the high notes
are reached (and reached well) and the voice retains its flexibility, I am
truly curious as to why so many seem to dislike this deep tenor.

I think it is a rare voice type--I think there is even a special 'tenor'
type that celebrates it (those more expert than I will probably know the
proper name) but to me, this sort of voice is like a comforter on a cold
night (again, in the right rep).