Re: Andrea Chenier

David Coco <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 12 Mar 2017 16:17:10 -0500

text/plain

Andrea Chenier is one of my favorite operas - a real Italian pot-boiler. Today’s broadcast from Munich just wasn’t quite there, despite a fine baritone in Luca Salsi and good Chenier from Kaufmann. Could the tempos have been ANY slower today. Poor Harteros, whose voice is really not suited to the role of Maddalena anyway, had to deal with “La mama morta” as a dirge. There was no passion and no bllom to the voice. Give me a Tebaldi or Millo any day. Or maybe Sondra….
A gutless performance.

D. Coco