Subject: Re: Kurt Moll at SFO
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Mar 2017 10:41:03 -0800

I remember that Gurnemanz (and King Marke) in SF in '74 very well. Moll was one of two "newbies" in the cast (the other was Eva Randova as Kundry). He stunned.

Those were the days: two Wagners and a Strauss (Salome with Rysanek) in the fall season. I got invited to an event with other student singers, where Birgit Nilsson (that season's Isolde) was standing with Astrid Varnay (Herodias) and Nilsson introduced Varnay as her mother. Varnay laughed and said "She always does that; our birthdays are a month apart!"

Other memories from that season are having a choice of Scotto and Lorengar as Cio-Cio San, Sutherland and Aragall in "Esclarmonde " von Stade in "Cenerentola," Leontyne's Manon Lescaut and Pavarotti and Ricciarelli in "Luisa Miller." We didn't know how good we had it.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone