Subject: Re: RIP Kurt Moll + Digitizing Opera Programs
From: Alain Letort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 6 Mar 2017 20:13:13 -0500

Dear Listers,

I too mourn Kurt Moll’s passing.  Although I was privileged to attend
several of his performances, the one that has left an indelible impression
on my memory was his Osmin at the Paris Opéra on 9 April 1976.  He was a
perfect Osmin both vocally and theatrically, and received an ovation after
the final curtain.  It was a gorgeous production, directed by Günther
Rennert, with sets by Bernard Daydé and costumes by José Varona.

Other cast members were Karlheinz Böhm as the Pasha Selim, Christiane
Eda-Pierre as Konstanze, Norma Burrowes as Blonde, Stuart Burrows as
Belmonte, and Norbert Orth as Pedrillo.

In the pit was Karlheinz’s papa, Karl Böhm !!!

I know I have seen Kurt Moll in other performances, but that would involve
digging through boxes and boxes of programs.  I just don’t feel up to it.
My Paris Opéra programs, which are beautiful, I keep on a bookshelf, but all
the rest are in boxes.

Writing this, the idea strikes me that it might be a good idea to digitize
all my programs from 40+ years of attending opera performances.  Do any
Listers have any experience doing this?  What works best, Excel or Access?
Can anyone suggest a format that would facilitate searches?  For example,
one that would allow me to search the database for “Kurt Moll” or whatever
else I happened to be interested in?

If I devoted an hour a day to such a project, I might be able to complete it
in 2-3 months.  Has anybody on the List bothered to do this?  Was it worth
the effort?

Cheers and all the best,

Alain Letort
Washington, D.C.