Subject: Re: Munich Semiramide
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Mar 2017 02:52:57 +0000

As far as I am concerned, Javier Camarena is the God of the bel canto repertory today, as much as I love Juan Diego Flórez, Lawrence Brownlee and René Barbera (the second Texas tenor to be given a major assignment at the Met in the last few years, Jay Hunter Morris of course being the other one).  It would be tragic if the Met cut either of Camarena's arias in Semiramide.  I suspect that he would not allow it anyway.  Then again, Marilyn Horne was a huge star and she evidently didn't have the clout to keep the Met from making cuts in its last batch of Semiramide performances at the Met in 1992-93 and so ended up walking out and being replaced by the debuting Gloria Scalchi, so what do I know.
Mike Leone
[log in to unmask] il Leone!