Subject: Wow! To this we've come. No comment, no interest?
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Mar 2017 17:52:58 -0500

Werther from the Met yesterday, as heard on WQXR

There was a time, even a few years ago, when a Met broadcast
would garner a dozen, or so, comments on Opera-l

I'll be very brief.

Werther is not among my favorite operas, to put it mildly,
but it does have some effective moments, which I believe were
very well served yesterday.

I thought that Isabel Leonard and Vittorio Grigolo were outstanding.
She exhibits a voice with a vibrato that is sometimes a bit more than
I like, but her range is wonderful, her tops magnificent, and her
phrasing very sympathetic.

He ducked one optional top that was a meal for Franco Corelli a
generation ago, but he was, in every way, a much finer interpreter of
the title role, both stylistically and vocally.

Everyone in the cast, including the conductor, made the afternoon
a very pleasant, at the least, musical experience.

Bob