Subject: Re: Kaufmann and other European artists
From: Maria Louise Augusta Helleberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Mar 2017 09:39:39 +0100

JK has been doing a lot of new parts the last 5 years. He didn't sing Enee,
though, but Manrico, Alvaro, Radames - all in friendly, easy surroundings
and with singers, conductors and producers he trust. He has heaalth issues
and he has been cancelling EVERYTHING lately. He will be doing his first
Otello later this year. Opera houses might also be accused of pushing
singers into unsuited parts. Who would NOT like to do a triumphant Norma or
Otello? However, it does not always happen. Netrebko left Norma to
Yoncheva. I guess that Radvanovsky will take over Norma in London, she had
a big hit here with Manon Lescaut. But JK has been ill an done the right
thing, he has been protecting his voice and his family, i.e. 3 young
children. He has returned to singing, but will not, cannot, dare not return
to the Met. Maybe he will stick to the core repertory, the parts that fits
him: Chenier, Maurizio, Florestan, Lohengrin, Parsifal, Faust.
Maria Helleberg