Subject: Poverino Bartolo
From: Charles Handelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Mar 2017 21:40:42 -0500

Le Avventure di Povero Bartolo
Are some operas jinxed? In my experience I would have to say that the
Handelman Bartolos presented several incidents that stand out in my mind.
Here they are:
1. The guy comes in to arrest Almaviva DRUNK and does not know his lines,
"Ho inteso..ho inteso." He is swaying in the breeze.Handelman turns his back
on the audience and gives him the line, which he sang in a  key that might
have been from a Berg opera.
2. Before shaving me, the Figaro wound up like Sandy Koufax (Rossini nver
heard of the Brooklyn Dodgers) and PITCHED whipped cream (rancid??) at me
from afar.YUCCCH!
3. I imitated Rosina's act 2 "Grazie" accidentally in the same KEY
falsetto...D natural!
4. I wore tights but nothing underneath,when I felt a "slippage".I ducked
behind a chair (you stay on stage all through act 2-act 2 when it is done in
three acts).I managed to survive before act three before I got the safety
pin...remember, there was nudity in those days...(BTW A guy named Ramey was
Basilio.)
5. THE BIG ONE:  We rehearsed Barbiere many months.It was the premiere. I
wait the entrance of Basilio, who decided (for his buddies in the audien ce)
to SWISH in like the biggest drag queen imaginable. I froze!!!! Suddenly, ad
libe Charlie grabbed one of Rosina's knitting needles and started to duel
with Basilio's umbrella. I bet the audience mistook my embarrassed ad lib
for a real stage bit.
   Happily, I was told that when I say, "Dov'e l'uccello?" (Where is the
bird?) in a bit in act 3 when Rosina and Almaviva kiss.....I had make sure
to double the "l" (like Richard Tucker tripled his consonants) or else it is
a bad bad Italian word for..................and there would be Italians in
the theatre.