Subject: Re: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Tosca (2017-18)
From: William Prien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Mar 2017 15:18:18 -0500

I am not at all surprised at this news. But I just don't buy Kaufmann's
explanation. He would have known his exact performance dates years in
advance, so why didn't he plan his time with his family accordingly?
Of course, the conspiracy theorist within me tells me that the real
reason Kaufmann cancelled is because he was offered a more higher
paying, and more prestigious contract elsewhere during that time.
I'll wager that is exactly the case, and will be anxious to see what
pops up on his schedule during the Met's Tosca dates.
Also, I just can't understand why Kaufmann continues, time after time,
to sign contracts he has no intention of fulfilling, at the Met and
elsewhere. It is extremely unprofessional. Hopefully, maybe Peter Gelb
will stop offering Kaufmann anything. He is just too unreliable at this
point and I would think Gelb will tire of always having to scrape up a
suitable substitute for him.
It will be interesting to see if Kaufmann shows up for his recital at
Carnegie Hall in January, as well as his dates with the Boston Symphony
in April (for Act 2 of Tristan).
Just my two cents..........

Bill