Subject: Re: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Tosca (2017-18)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Mar 2017 14:15:41 -0500

iI've learned to "hold my tongue" at times like this ;-)

I will give you two examples. A very good friend, in my presence, told
Gabriella Tuuci that he was looking firward to her Tosca. She told him she
was
not scheduled for Tosca, although she had agreed to be prepared to sing it
during the season. He told her that an advertisement for a benefit with
Bastianini was already mailed to the Met subscriber base by (I think)
Hunter College, the benefit sponsor. Two weeks later, on a Saturday night
she walked on stage after singing "Mario,.....". And the rest is history.
It was her only performance of the role at the Met that year.

Many singers had contracts, Bergonzi among them. who, in his early years
committed him to the Met for a specified number of weeks, performances
to be determined among the following operas - a, b, x, y, z. It was a very
common practice in most every opera house.  I visited Ingrid Bjoner after
her first Met Ariadne and asked her if she was scheduled for any others.
I'm not sure, said she, I'll be here for several more weeks, so I may.

It had nothing to do with disrespect for singers. It was the way most
singers gained a foothold  in theaters. If you take the time to read
singer bios, you might know that it was very common. Antonio Cortis,
a huge star in the thirties, has a bio that includes facsimilies of his
Chicago contracts. So many weeks with an agreement to perform x
number of performances among the following operas......... including,
some years, the tour. No further specifications.

Pride precedeth a fall, Jon!

Bob