Subject: Kaufmann and other European artists
From: Kathy Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Mar 2017 13:13:48 -0500

Really two separate issues

Remember that Kaufmann has had serious physical difficulties, including a tumor on his
chest.  While I agree he should not accept commitments he is unlikely to follow through
on, it must be awfully difficult for someone with his stature in the operatic community as
well as his gorgeous instrument to fully believe how careful he must be with his voice.  I
hope that this latest round of cancellations will help him and his agent to figure out how
much he can test his voice.  My closest example would be that of a writer with a arthritic
wrist.  How much could she write before she has to shut down for a week or a month.
And how hard must it be to have to refuse commitments.  There must be so much he
wants to do and how hard it is to be cognizant of his limitations.  Isn't that a bit what we
go through as we get older and can't do physically what we used to do without thinking?

As for other out of USA artist and scientists, there is not only the issue of whether there
is a personal distaste for the current administration there is the practical issue of visas
and whether the individual will be refused at the airport or sent back once they arrive
here.  For heaven's sake, Muhammad Ali's son, American born with American passport
was detained for hours at the airport returning from Jamaica with his family.  Surely, this
must make European singers wary - especially if they are being offered nice jobs in
Europe.  I spoke recently with a Canadian singer.  She had a 30 day visa and had to leave
the country and reenter in order to continue her role with San Francisco Opera.  At least
no border problems - this time.  But how silly was that?  And that was PRE-Trump.

But can we really expect a regular customs officer to recognize Pretty Yende or Anna
Netrebko, and pass them through quickly? AND really, if you are an internationally
recognized artist or scientist and you are to be subjected to hours of detention at customs
- or "extreme vetting" about your background, wouldn't you be likely to have other
options available to you than what you would need to do to get into the US?  And then,
what if your research involved something other than what is acceptable to the Christian
fringe?  Stem cells?  Evolutionary biology?  Climate change?  I don't keep regular track of
what the "alt right" and the Christian fringe object to, but I suspect I would be looking at
it if I were a European considering a job offer in the US.  As per Bob Dylan, "things they
are achanging" folks.

We may all have to pick up our canes and march somewhere, if only to say, "Don't mess
with my opera!"

Modify your settings: