Subject: Re: Fwd: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Tosca (2017-18)
From: Donald Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Mar 2017 23:41:28 -0700

It is really simple.  Its not a game.  It is like the Pavarotti gig.
Kaufmann signs contracts and doesn't appear.  He is like Montserrat Caballe
was years ago - available this year for a limited number of cancellations.
He sells so the put up with it.  I don't know what the problem is,
physical, vocal or emotional but he has obviously become unreliable.  I
don't think its that he doesn't want to sing her, if that were the case,
like Anja Harteros, he wouldn't take the engagements.  But he does so there
are obviously other things going on here.  Perhaps its time to follow the
lead of the l, Skelton and Jovanovich.  I dont' consider Osborn and
Brownlee competition because they are totally different fachts.  Neither
sing anything remotely in the Kaufmann garden.

I really doubt that Kaufmann doesn't want a US career,crossing the pond is
not what it was 60 or 70 years ago.  Like I said, there is more going on
here.

Donald

BTW, I just came from the Phoenix premiere of Craig Bohmler's new opera
Riders of the Purple Sage, based on the Zane Grey novel.  It was a lot of
fun.  Its a real opera, it has pathos, a story that has meaning - women's
rights, religious intollerance, friendship, love, good vs. evil.  The piece
has legs and the music is singable and easy on the ear.  Its late and I
have an all day motorcycle ride with friends - have to be up early - so I
will write my review tomorrow.  There were people from the San Diego Opera
and Fort Worth Opera so I think its going to be making the rounds.  It is a
sound piece and Arizona Opera did a first rate job with it.  Well sung,
well produced, well directed.