Subject: Re: Fwd: Metropolitan Opera Cast Change Advisory - Tosca (2017-18)
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 4 Mar 2017 01:20:55 -0500

I can understand if it's out of wanting to lessen the stress of constant travel - I think we do
expect a hell of a lot out of opera stars having to appear all over the place simply because
constant travel is technologically so feasible in our day. It's very stressful.

If it's more of a political statement, well, unfortunately I can't blame them for feeling that
way. America is well on its way to becoming a very unwelcoming country. Don't blame me,
I'm from Massachusetts.

I suppose it's a good thing that American singers have much more cred than they did
years back. And, that we have singers like Grigolo who seem fine with the status quo. (I
hope against hope that we won't start losing more foreign singers due to the political
climate here, but that could happen.)

Myself, I'm just glad to see that Bondy monstrosity go to the scrap heap. I don't need a
replication of the Zeff production, just one that doesn't screw around with the story,
especially in the final moments.

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 23:15:25 -0600, Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have to agree with Mr. Donati
>
>       It should be obvious  to one and all that Kaufmann no longer wishes to sing in the
United States.   Ditto for Juan Diego Florez.   As great and as outstanding as they are, life
goes on.   I treasure their DVDs and CDs from Europe, but I doubt whether either of them
want a U.S. career anymore.