Subject: Re: "How To Fix the Met..." The TImes finally figures it out:
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Mar 2017 01:27:02 -0500

Hamilton isn't going anywhere fast - it's going to be at the Richard Rodgers Theatre for a
good long while. We won't be seeing it at the Met, certainly not in our lifetime, probably
not ever. (Even with the likes of Netrebko, Damrau and Mattila as the Schuyler sisters, lol.
God forbid.)

No one, or certainly no one in the biz, says "musical comedy" anymore, not usually even
to describe those older shows that used to be called by that term. We call them "musicals"
now. ;-)

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 18:23:08 +0000, David Shengold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>This reliably reactionary and apparently proudly racist mental gnome seems not to have
visited the Met Museum in the last several decades. There are countless African treasures-
- that is the proper word--on view, as well as treasures from Asia, the Pacific Islands,
South and Central and (news flash) North America. For that matter, the Met's incredible
Egyptian treasures go way back, so perhaps he has never visited the Museum at all.
>Other than the eternal HAMILTON, it's hard to know what James Camner has in mind.
The Met is too big (almost always) for the da Ponte Mozarts and also for almost any
musical comedy. Lincoln Center in its festivals does import and/or program the African,
Asian and other non-European dance, music and theater of which the gnome is probably
also ignorant or contemptuous--but usually in smaller and apter venues.