Subject: Rossini Opera Festival in New York City
From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Mar 2017 23:19:26 -0500

New York City could have easily have had a Rossini Opera Festival
as per Pesaro Wildbad and even San Francisco (1992).
but I had to go to Tulsa for Armida - Austen for La Pietra del paragone -
Chicago for Tancredi  and Otello
  Charleston for something - St. Paul and Dallas for Semiramide -
Baltimore for L'assedio di Corinto - San Francisco for an almost complete Guillaume Tell
Otello - Maometto Secondo - Ermione at Santa Fe -
Dallas for Semiramide and Ermione - Houston for Barbiere (with Bartoli -
who sang the donna del lago rondo in the lesson scene)
Wolftrap for Il viaggio a Reims
plus many trips to New York, Milan, Pesaro, Verona, Venice, London, Paris, Munich and Rome.

Most of the great Rossini singers with a few exceptions were American
Most of the initial Pesaro principals were Americans.

New York had productions of Semiramide - L'assedio di Corinto and Armida
as well as the core comic operas at the Met.
New York City Opera had Le Comte Ory - Turko in Italia - later Il viaggio a Reims - Ermione -
La donna del lago and Mose in Egitto

OONY has done numerous Rossini operas as well as Caramoor with great Rossini
singers in concert or semi staged versions.
Many concerts of La Petite Messe Solennelle (both versions I think) and the Stabat Mater

Special events such as the Epstein inspired series - Tancredi and Semiramide with
Caballe's cancellation with June Anderson substituting - there was the
Scotto all Rossini program - the New Jersey Symphony with Horne at CH doing
her double scena  with music from both L’assedio di Corinto and
and the tenor scena from Le Siege de Corinth - a concert Ermione - with someone whose
name I forget - she sang the Ermione I attended in Dallas - Hunter College's Elisabetta d'Inghilterra -
the Rossini Gala for his birthday proceeded by Marilyn Horne's all Rossini recital -
I even remember a Pietra del paragone with Carreras - a visit from the Rome Opera with Otello with Zeanni
the Sills L'assedio (some of the production was used for the Maometto Secondo  which I attended
in San Francisco with Anderson, Horne, Merritt and Alaimo.)

So much great Rossini singing has occurred in New York , which could have had as great a Festival as Pesaro -
with all the venues, repertoire, singers, productions etc. with some planning and coordination.
Pesaro under Zedda these days is basically the pits - so many dreadful productions
such as the recent Tell with Florez - a few  international singers have emerged such as Maxim Mironov,
Dmitry Korchak, Marina Rebecca , Olga Peretyako and Bogdan Mihai.
this year they with have Romanovsky who is wonderful - strangely all Slavic (maybe Latvia is not)
as is Opera Rara's new Semiramide

Sorry for the long post which I rarely do - but there were so many posts about the Munich Semiramide
that I got revved up - forgive me please.
 - maybe New York will get a Rossini Festival some day.
Japan did with a visit from the Rossini Opera Festival -  New York can have a great Rossini Opera Festival
all its own.
 - one does get tired after a while with the treck to Pesaro -
why not just one trip ever so often to experience all these wonderful operas at one time, some of which are
basic repertoire these days - why have to travel all over the world for these operas when they are already here
in our country - why not have a visiting company bring one of their productions to New York? - at least
New York will be spared the Alden Semiramide - what trash for such beautiful music even though some liked it -
don't bring that one - my opinion only

Jim Eaton

Modify your settings: