Subject: Re: 'An Element of Falsity'
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Mar 2017 11:44:58 -0500

The first music appreciation "classes" I can recall from about the seventh
grade,
were not a required part of the curriculum, were not graded, and were
inflicted upon a captive audience of pre-teens who, most of them, would
just as soon be
having their teeth drilled.   In those far off days, a list of "Music
Memory" selections  with a supply of corresponding 78 rpm records was
distributed to
N Y City elementary schools where they could be used, or not, in whatever
way
the teaching staff saw fit to do. Among those discs were prominent
selections from the works of Wagner, Rossini, Meyerbeer, and Gounod.  Thus
did a very few, like me, not only hear brief "classics" for the first time,
but fell for the sound of them: an epiphany I think  it's called.   So I
must agree with your dismissal of those three self serving musicologists.
If, according to one of them, Nigel Farage is the Nicholas Cook of
musicology; maybe we want to read more Nicholas Cook.

Back to your "greatest Composer" posting: I still ponder the hypothesis
that the title might reasonably be bestowed on Schubert, if only on the
grounds of what he had composed before his untimely death.

"Music hath here entombed a rich possession, but ever fairer hopes".

dtmk